Golden Visa represents one of the most interesting programs to obtain residency through investments in Europe and the World.
If you are not a European or European Economic Area citizen and intend to acquire Portuguese nationality or travel freely in the Schengen Area, composed of 20 more European countries, the Golden Visa regime is the ideal solution for families.
The Portuguese Government, at the beginning of this year, decided to review the criteria that made it possible to grant a visa through the approval of Decree-Law nº 14/2021.
The good news is that it will not take effect until next year!
1. Why Portugal?
Portugal is located at the western tip of Europe and, therefore, has a privileged location in the convergence between three continents: Europe, Africa, and America. The climate is considered mild practically throughout the year due to the influence of the Atlantic Ocean.
It is considered one of the safest and most peaceful countries in the world and has one of the best public and private health systems. It is endowed with beautiful infrastructures, with regard to the quality of its roads, maritime, and railway infrastructures.
Portugal is going through a favorable moment, both economically and financially, being one of the best countries in Europe to invest in. It also has tax and reduced tax burden compared to the rest of Europe, making it very attractive.
The Portuguese people are well known for their hospitality and their willingness to help and welcome visitors.
2. What is Golden Visa Portugal?
Golden Visa Portugal was presented in October 2012, with the main objective of attracting international capital to the country.
This program corresponds to a residence permit for investment activity, that is, it grants the right to foreign citizens to apply for Portuguese nationality and to acquire free access to the Schengen area, by making certain investments.
3. What are the benefits of Golden Visa Portugal?
Exemption from the requirement to obtain a residence visa before entering the country;
Possibility to move freely within the Schengen area;
Permission to live, work and study in Portugal;
Golden visa extension and its advantages for your family members;
After five years, you may apply for citizenship or permanent residence in Portugal;
4) Who is eligible for Portugal's Golden Visa?
It is aimed at nationals from foreign countries (not members of the EU or EEA) who intend to invest in Portugal in the following ways: capital transfer, job creation, or acquisition of immovable property.
5) What are the conditions to obtain Golden Visa?
Acquire real estate located in Portugal with a value equal to or greater than 500 000 euros. If the investment is in an area considered to be sparsely populated, the minimum value may be reduced to 400 000 euros.
To acquire real estate with more than 30 years, located in an urban regeneration area, including completion of rehabilitation works amounting to not less than 350 000 euros (this amount includes the price of the investment and the cost of the work). This value may be reduced to 280 000 euros if the property is located in sparsely populated areas.
The acquisition of property may include the purchase of several properties, as long as it corresponds to the minimum amount required.
CAPITAL TRANSFER :
Transfer of capital in the minimum amount of 1 million euros, made through financial investments in Portugal or the acquisition of shares or quotas of companies.
Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 350,000 euros, applied to research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated into the national scientific and technological system.
Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 250,000 euros, invested in investment or support for artistic production, recovery, or maintenance of national cultural heritage.
Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 350,000 euros, acquiring investment units in investment or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of small and medium-sized companies, which present the respective viable capitalization plan.
CREATION OF WORKSTATIONS:
Creation of a minimum of ten new full-time jobs, with workers having to be duly registered with the Portuguese Social Security.
5) What changes with Decree-Law No. 14/2021?
The approval of Decree-Law No. 14/2021 changed two very important premises: the territory in which to make the investment and the minimum investment amounts.
The investment can be made in all regions of lower population density. The coastal zone of Portugal is no longer eligible for the Golden Visa application, through real estate investment. This means that the purchase of a property in Lisbon or Porto is no longer eligible for the Golden Visa program.
The acquisition of real estate, with a value equal to or greater than 500,000 euros, and the execution of urban rehabilitation works, in a global amount equal to or greater than 350,000 euros, intended for housing, continue to allow access to Golden Visa with the requirement to be located in the n the countryside or on the islands.
6) What are the new conditions for obtaining the Golden Visa?
1) The transfer of capital must be equal to or greater than 1.5 million euros, with the minimum amount previously required being 1 million;
2) The transfer capital in an amount equal to or greater than EUR 500 000 for the application in research activities conducted by public or private institutions in the field of scientific research, built on a scientific and technological system, as opposed to previous years 350,000 euros.
3) The transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 500,000 euros, intended for the acquisition of investment units in investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies, which are constituted under Portuguese law, whose maturity, at the time of the investment, is at least five years and, at least, 60% of the value of the investments is realized in commercial companies based in the national territory. The previous amount considered was EUR 350 000.
4) The transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 500,000 euros, intended for the constitution of a commercial company with headquarters in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a company commercial with headquarters in national territory, already constituted, with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanents, and for a minimum period of three years, raising the previous value of 350,000 euros.
5) The real estate investment option will be available only for real estate investments made in low-density areas in Portugal.
7) Who owns Golden Visa loses its benefits from this change?
The new rules apply to all applications for a residence permit for investment, applied for after January 1, 2022.
If Golden Visa was acquired under the current law, the changes provided for in the diploma do not prevent the renewal of residence permits or the renewal of residence permits for the applicant's family members.
➡️ For more information and help with your application, please get in contact with us.